Content material of the fabric
- What does number porting mean?
- Option 2: Port your Google Voice number out to a mobile phone service
- Checking your number with Google Voice first
- Keep Your Current Phone Number (Port A Number to Google Voice)
- Information required by service providers when porting number to Google Voice
- U.S. Cellular
- Other carriers
- How to port VoIP numbers to Google Voice
- Why should I port number to Google Voice?
- How to port your cell phone to a Google Voice account
What does quantity porting imply?
When your port your quantity, it implies that your current telephone quantity is transferred to a different service supplier.
That appears simple sufficient. Whenever you do port a cell quantity to google voice nevertheless, your new Google Voice quantity is not so easy to make use of. Here is why you must and mustn’t port a cell quantity to Google Voice.
Choice 2: Port your Google Voice quantity out to a cell phone service
To port your quantity out of Google Voice, unlock the quantity. Then, let your cell service supplier know you need to port a quantity to their service. They do the remainder.
Unlocking your Google Voice quantity prices $3, nevertheless it’s free in case your quantity was initially ported in from a cell service supplier.
- In your pc, go to the Google Voice unlock page.
- Level to the Google Voice quantity you need to port, and click on Unlock my quantity.
- Click on Proceed.
- Pay along with your Google Account. You’ll get your receipt by e mail.
- Ask your cell service supplier to port your quantity to their service. Observe: In case your cell service supplier asks in your account quantity and PIN, present your ten-digit Google Voice telephone quantity and the PIN you employ to entry your Google Voice voicemail.
Observe: And not using a telephone quantity, your account will change to Google Voice Lite.Lock your number again
Should you resolve to not port your Google Voice quantity, you possibly can lock it once more. In your pc, go to the Google Voice unlock web page. Below your Google Voice quantity, click on Relock my quantity. Click on Proceed. You will see a standing web page the place your quantity is marked as “Locked.” You possibly can all the time unlock your quantity once more free of charge.“Can’t relock your number” error
If a service supplier, like Verizon or AT&T, has already tell us concerning the port you requested for, you possibly can’t relock your telephone quantity.
Checking your quantity with Google Voice first
Earlier than you do something, you must head over to the Google Voice check number page, and enter your telephone quantity. This may assist decide whether or not you possibly can port your telephone quantity to Google Voice. (Sure, even when it’s your landline.)
Some space codes — Hawaii (space code 808) and Alaska (space code 907) — should not supported by Google Voice. So you must take this step first earlier than losing your time or cash.
The reply you get is form of the Zoltar of your landline’s future.
If the message says, “This quantity seems to be from an space we don’t at present assist,” then you definitely’re out of luck. You received’t be capable to port your quantity to Google Voice.
But when your message says, “We don’t at present assist porting out of your provider” then that’s good! It means you reside in a supported space that helps porting your landline to a cell provider, and finally Google Voice.
Preserve Your Present Cellphone Quantity (Port A Quantity to Google Voice)
Planning to alter your cell plan and located a greater take care of a competitor? This occurs extra usually than you suppose. Your month-to-month invoice shall be a bit of cheaper than final month and your service remains to be simply nearly as good. However what concerning the telephone quantity? You’ve been utilizing the identical quantity for a number of years. It’s the one your entire family and friends have saved of their telephone. Do you maintain off?
If you wish to get a brand new quantity however nonetheless need to hold your outdated one, Google Voice could be the reply to your prayers. It presents people the prospect to port their current quantity over to their service for a one-time payment of $20. So not solely will you get the brand new quantity along with your new service, however you may as well keep your current quantity and have all calls forwarded from that quantity to the brand new one. How superior is that?
You’ll have to know that once you port a quantity to Google Voice, you possibly can’t use the Google Voice app to ship textual content messages–it requires an information connection over Wi-Fi or a cell community. However you possibly can, nevertheless, have Google Voice ahead SMS texts to your new quantity. When replying to the incoming texts utilizing your common messaging app, the messages will seem to return out of your new Google Voice quantity.
This is identical approach that telephone calls will work. With call-forwarding turned on, you may make and obtain calls out of your Google Voice quantity, even and not using a knowledge connection. This could go with out saying however you will want two telephone numbers as a way to port a quantity to Google Voice. That is your current quantity the place the calls and texts are acquired, and the brand new quantity to the place they are going to be forwarded.
Your current quantity would be the one ported over and should stay energetic on the time you start the method. So DO NOT cancel your account earlier than doing so. The brand new quantity could be one supplied to you by your present provider or a brand new provider. Your second quantity may even be one from Google Voice. In case you are switching carriers, when you begin a brand new account with them and port your quantity over to Google Voice, Google will cancel your earlier provider account in your behalf. For a brand new quantity whereas remaining with the identical provider, after the quantity is added to Google Voice, Google will cancel your outdated quantity.
It’s crucial that you just don’t try to make such a change whereas nonetheless in the midst of a contract. Porting your quantity over has the potential to hold with it an Early Termination Charge (ETF) if canceled early. To make certain, contact the shopper assist of your present provider and inform them of what your plans are earlier than you cancel. They’ll be capable to make an observation in your account to not cost you an ETF once you lastly cancel.
Calls and textual content messages to each numbers will attain you as long as call-forwarding has been turned on. Nonetheless, outbound calls and texts will solely be despatched out of your main Google Voice quantity. Google Voice does mean you can swap which quantity you need as your main, at any time you’d like.
To port a quantity over to your Google Voice account:
- Open Google Voice in your browser and log in.
- You should be inside 90 days of the cancelation course of as a way to port the quantity over. Any later and the quantity shall be unavailable.
- You’ll discover Settings on the prime proper, so go forward and click on it.
- Click on ‘Account‘ then click on on ‘Change‘ beneath your telephone quantity simply as we did above.
- Click on over to the ‘Telephones‘ tab.
- Click on ‘Change/Port‘ then click on ‘I need to use my cell quantity.’
- Sort in your telephone quantity and choose ‘Examine for out there choices.’
- Assuming your quantity is on the market for porting you will note a blue ‘Port your quantity‘ hyperlink on the backside of the pop-up window. Click on it.
- Examine the packing containers that seem confirming you settle for the situations of porting.
- On the following display, enter your entire present account data.
- As soon as the transaction has been accomplished, the expiration date subsequent to your authentic Google Voice quantity will now disappear. It now belongs to you till you cancel/delete it your self.
Info required by service suppliers when porting quantity to Google Voice
When getting ready to port Google Voice quantity, you must collect the knowledge that shall be required by your service supplier. Here’s a breakdown of what completely different service suppliers ask for.
Easy ways on how to transfer contacts from iPhone to iPhone
- The Verizon no. you'd prefer to port
- The account holder's title
- Your Verizon account no. That is normally a ten or 14-digit no. formatted as 000000000-00000. Don’t embrace the sprint once you enter it
- The final 4 digits of the account holder's Social Safety no.
- In some instances, you may additionally be requested in your account PIN. That is normally a 4-digit no.
- The AT&T no you'd prefer to port
- The account holder's title
- Your AT&T account quantity. Legitimate account numbers are 8, 9, 10, 12, or 15 digits. The most typical are 9 or 12 digits
- The final 4 digits of the account holder's Social Safety no
- In some instances, you may additionally be requested in your account PIN
- You probably have a pay as you go or GoPhone account: Contact AT&T assist in your account no.
- The T-Cellular quantity you'd prefer to port
- The account holder's no
- A postpaid account no. is normally a nine-digit quantity however could be 9, 11, 12, or 15 digits
- A pay as you go account no. is your 11-digit telephone quantity (1+ space code + quantity.).
An easy guide on how to check iTunes gift card balance
- The Dash no. you wish to port
- The account holder's title
- Your Dash account no. (normally 9 digits)
- Your Dash PIN/passcode (normally a 6- to 10-digits).
- Your U.S. Mobile account no., which is both the account no. or buyer I.D. in your invoice
The knowledge varies by provider. Normally, you will want to supply the next:
- The telephone no. you wish to port
- Title of the account proprietor
- Account no. out of your present provider
- Account PIN or passcode. Some carriers require this data to confirm you personal the quantity Google makes use of this data for the switch solely. We received't retailer or use it for every other function
- The account holder's Social Safety no.
- Billing tackle of the account proprietor.
The way to port VoIP numbers to Google Voice
Should you’re already with a VoIP supplier, you might need to port a digital telephone quantity to Google Voice.
Whether or not you are trying to port a Vonage quantity to Google Voice or a quantity with one other VoIP supplier like Skype and Ooma, the steps to take action are the identical as porting a quantity.
There are, nevertheless, a number of issues you will want to take notice:
Google Voice can solely settle for port-ins from cell phone carriers like AT&T, Verizon and T-mobile.
Additionally, when you port your virtual phone number to a wireless carrier, the porting process will take about a week. That is excluding the a number of days’ wait once you port that quantity from the provider to Google Voice.
Why ought to I port quantity to Google Voice?
There are a lot of the reason why you must use the web phone service. Right here they’re:
- It’s a free service to enroll in. So long as you employ it to speak with different U.S. numbers, then it’s free. For abroad calls, you will want so as to add credit to your account to pay for service. Often, the fee is 1 cent per minute
- You possibly can route incoming calls to a number of different numbers
- There may be the call-recording choice that solely works for incoming calls
- You possibly can arrange voicemail in order that messages are transcribed to textual content messages or delivered by e mail
- It means that you can ahead calls from one quantity to a different
- You solely want a microphone and speaker to make use of it, so you possibly can truly make calls in your laptop computer or telephone
- The service additionally syncs throughout gadgets
3 easy ways to transfer BlackBerry Q10 contacts to Android
The way to port your mobile phone to a Google Voice account
Earlier than continuing, it is price noting that porting your cell quantity to Google Voice will price a flat $20 payment by means of most suppliers, together with AT&T and Verizon.
As well as, not all cell numbers could be ported to Google Voice, and you must verify the porting status page to see in case your quantity qualifies. You will additionally have to get your account quantity and pin out of your service supplier earlier than continuing.
Should you’re good to go, you possibly can observe these steps, which begin out the identical because the above part.
1. Go to the Google Voice homepage after which navigate to Legacy Google Voice through the menu on the higher left-hand nook of your display.
2. Click on Settings (the icon that appears like a cog) after which Settings once more. Then, click on the Telephones tab.
3. Subsequent to your present Google Voice quantity, click on Change/Port, then choose I need to use my cell quantity.
4. Comply with the directions to proceed with establishing your new quantity and full fee. You will then have to arrange telephones to obtain calls as soon as the method is full. Your quantity can take between 48 and 96 hours to port.
Jennifer Nonetheless Jennifer is a author and editor from Brooklyn, New York, who spends her time touring, ingesting iced espresso, and watching approach an excessive amount of TV. She has bylines in Self-importance Truthful, Glamour, Decider, Mic, and plenty of extra. You’ll find her on Twitter at @jenniferlstill. Learn extra Learn much less