Content of the material
Step 1: Add your device
Add your phone or tablet
In Google Maps, make sure you’re signed in to the same account on:
- The computer you’re using.
- The phone or tablet. If you’re asked to turn on notifications, tap Turn on notifications.
Map Your Remaining Destinations
Add destinations by entering addresses or locations and then dragging them into place. For example, suppose that as you drive from the CN Tower to the Rideau Canal Skateway, you want to take Highway 15 instead of continuing on Highway 7.
You can look at the map and add Smiths Falls as a destination by selecting Add Destination in the Directions Layer you created. Type Smiths Falls in field C to add it. Then drag it to fix the order so that it falls between the starting point and your second destination.
Smiths Falls is added and takes the place of the second destination on the route, moving the second one (Rideau Canal Skateway) down the list. This way, you won't go through the random destination you didn't want to stop at, but you added to keep you on the route you specifically wanted.
The downside to this method is that you may need a passenger to navigate the map.
Create a New Custom Map With Google My Maps
Suppose you've planned a trip with a fair amount of driving and four stops you want to make along the way. Your destinations are:
- The CN Tower (your starting point)
- Rideau Canal Skateway
- Montreal Museum of Archeology and History
- La Citadelle de Québec
You could enter each destination separately as you arrive at each one. That takes time, and it doesn't allow you to customize your route the way you want. To create a new map, follow these steps:
Open My Maps and select the Create a New Map button. A version of Google Maps opens with several features on it, including a map builder and a search field with map tools beneath it.
Name your map and include an optional description and select Save. This information helps when you want to create additional maps or share a map with someone who's joining you on the trip.
Add your start location and all destinations. Enter the start location in the search field and press the Enter key. In the pop-up box that appears over the location on the map, select Add to map.
Repeat this for all your destinations. Pins are added to the map as you add more destinations.
If you use the Maps SDK for iOS in your application, you must include the attribution text as part of a legal notices section in your application. Including legal notices as an independent menu item, or as part of an "About" menu item, is recommended.
You can get the attribution text by making a call to
How to send or share your location using Messages
1. Open a conversation with the person whom you want to send your location to.
2. Tap the top of the screen, which includes the icon for the person you are chatting with.
3. Tap the info icon (“i” in a circle) and choose the kind of location sharing you want to do:
- If you want to send your current location, tap “Send My Current Location.”
- If you want to share your location for a period of time, tap “Share My Location,” and then choose how long you want your location to be visible – an hour, for the rest of the day, or forever.
Foto: After you share your location, the recipient will see your location on a map.sourceDave Johnson/Business Insider
4. Tap “Done.”
How to send a place from desktop to mobile
Step 1: Log in to maps.google.com on your desktop.
Step 2: Now search for a place by dragging the map around, or use the search field at the top to quickly search for places by name.
Step 3: When you find a place you’d like to send to your mobile device, use the Send To Device option in the place information card.
How to share your location using Apple Maps
Apple Maps allows you to share your location as well, though the process is slightly different than it is in Google Maps.
1. Open Apple Maps.
2. Tap the blue dot that indicates your location (if you don’t see it on the screen, tap the arrow in the upper right to put your position in the middle of the map).
3. In the pop-up menu, tap “Share My Location.”
4. Choose the app you want to use to share your location, and then use that app to choose the person you want to share with.