Content material of the fabric
- Is Saltillo tile expensive?
- 5. Design Coasters
- Cons of Using Granite
- Add a Wood Overlay
- How do you cover up old tile?
- Wood Countertops Key Questions Answered
- What do they cost?
- Do they hold up?
- DIY or hire a pro?
- Where to buy?
- Wood Kitchen Countertop Pros
- Wood Kitchen Countertop Cons
- The Installation Process
- Consider the Sink
- Use a Countertop Refinishing Kit
- Use it for spare parts or cannibalize it
- 7. Adorn a Marble Slab over the Washing Machine
- Planning for Your Countertop Installation Date
- 6 Steps for Removing Countertops Yourself
- 1. Clear the Area of Obstructions
- 2. Disconnect Supply Lines to Countertop Fixtures
- 3. Remove the Sink
- 4. Loosen the Remaining Adhesive
- 5. Unscrew and Pry Countertops from Cabinets
- 6. Lift Away and Dispose of Your Old Countertops
- What Material Are You Replacing Your Countertops With?
- What do you think?
- Some stone cleaners come packaged as fast wipes. These make cleansing granite counters fast and simple!
Thanks! Useful Not Useful
- Use coasters or placemats beneath meals and drinks to keep away from spills and harm to your counter tops.
Thanks! Useful Not Useful
Is Saltillo tile costly?
How A lot Does Saltillo Tile Flooring Set up Price on Common? Saltillo Tile flooring set up prices on common $6.40 per sq. foot for supplies and set up. Nevertheless, this doesn’t embrace: web site preparation, sample adjustments and jogs within the room. Count on to pay a further charge of $1-3.00 per sq. ft.
5. Design Coasters
Creating coasters from additional items of marble is a implausible technique to carry the identical model of class and sophistication to your subsequent feast. With simple to make use of paints (like chalk paints) and traditional colours like gold and silver, all you want is a paint brush and a favourite design to your coaster to return out completely.
Cons of Utilizing Granite
Most granite is essential, which implies the transport and transport may cause them to have a big carbon footprint. Plus, granite is porous, so it should be sealed with chemical substances to reduce staining.
Set up additionally produces a number of mud, VOCs, and different chemical substances, which could be hazardous in enclosed areas.
Add a Wooden Overlay
When you've all the time wished butcher block or are drawn to the fantastic thing about an actual wooden countertop, now's your likelihood to have it. You possibly can cowl your outdated counters with vast planks of stable hardwood and even hardwood or bamboo plywood.
Stable hardwood is extra sturdy and repairable than plywood (with its very skinny high veneer layer), however plywood is available in bigger items and is cheaper.
Bamboo plywood presents the perfect of each worlds. This materials has a thicker high layer than plywood (for sturdiness and repairs), and it is available in 4-by-8-foot sheets, identical to common plywood.
This can be a very customized makeover that requires some fundamental woodworking abilities and instruments. Briefly, you narrow the principle floor items to suit and glue them to the outdated counter (maybe with screws pushed up from under the outdated counter). You then add a entrance edge constituted of the identical materials or use a stable hardwood edge to cap the layered edges of the plywood. A wooden masking should be totally sealed or oiled for stain- and moisture-resistance.
How do you cowl up outdated tile?
To put in them, clear the outdated tiles with an all-purpose cleaner; permit the tiles to dry; take away the paper backing from a self-stick tile; and press it into place over an outdated tile. Use scissors to chop the tiles to suit round wall switches or electrical retailers. Proceed adhering as many self-stick tiles as you want.
Wooden Counter tops Key Questions Answered
What do they price?
From $12 to greater than $200 per sq. foot, uninstalled, relying on species, thickness, development, and end; add 5 to 10 p.c extra for many manufacturing unit finishes.
Do they maintain up?
Correctly put in and cared for, wooden counter tops can final so long as you reside in your house. Manufacturing facility finishes typically include a guaranty. It may well vary from one 12 months to a lifetime—and will solely cowl glued-joint separation.
DIY or rent a professional?
A home-owner comfy with reducing and matching can set up them in a weekend (making sink and tap cutouts could void any guarantee). For a professional set up, add $8 per sq. foot, minimal.
The place to purchase?
Order from kitchen showrooms and customized retailers or store at house facilities and big-box shops.
Wooden Kitchen Countertop Professionals
They lend character and lasting beauty, however in addition they want some TLC. Weigh the information earlier than investing:
- They are often budget-friendly. A butcher-block counter constituted of birch or beech can price little greater than laminate and fewer than half the starter worth for pure stone or engineered supplies.
- They are often simple to put in. DIYers can lower prefab butcher-block tops to suit round corners, sinks, and home equipment far more simply than most stone. Ending wooden is much more simple.
- They’re sturdy—and gentle. In contrast to with stone, there is no clatter while you set down a plate or a glass, and dropped dishes are much less prone to break. Wooden additionally quiets the whir of home equipment, whereas stone will amplify such noise.
- They are often refinished. Knife scratches, deep gouges, even burn marks could be sanded out and a DIY end restored to look brand-new.
- They’re inexperienced. Most corporations supply sustainably grown, Forest Stewardship Council-certified woods, together with exotics. And whereas wooden counters final for years, as soon as worn out, they are often recycled.
Much like proven: 1½-inch edge-grain teak; about $175 per sq. ft., uninstalled; devoswoodworking.com
Wooden Kitchen Countertop Cons
- They transfer. All wooden expands and contracts with adjustments in atmospheric moisture, so there may be the potential for these counter tops to cup, warp, and hole if not correctly constructed, put in, and maintained. The thicker the counter, the extra secure it is going to be.
- They require upkeep. Unfinished wooden counters want month-to-month oiling. DIY clear-coated surfaces could require refinishing each 5 years or so. Manufacturing facility-finished counters could by no means want recoating, but when they do, you will pay to ship them, even underneath guarantee.
- They demand a watchful eye. Liquids can penetrate wooden, inflicting stains, cracks, and joint separation—vinegar can truly dissolve glue—so spills, particularly water across the sink, needs to be wiped up immediately.
- They don’t seem to be fireproof. Wooden and range burners do not combine; test along with your range maker for required clearances. To stop scorching, use trivets underneath scorching pots.
Go to any outdated espresso store in Italy and also you’ll seemingly discover a properly worn Carrera marble countertop someplace in there. This workhorse of economic and residential kitchens for hundreds of years is extraordinarily fashionable as a consequence of a few of the nice qualities it reveals like its enticing look, warmth resistance, sturdiness, and simple workability.
Very similar to soapstone marble could be very simple to work in order that retains prices down and permits or not it’s maintained extra simply. One draw back is that it’s extra simply stained than choices like quartz or granite as a consequence of its porous nature. Its shade is nearly precisely the other of soapstone with a gentle white base and darkish gray veins.
For a very timeless and chic look you actually can’t beat marble.
The Set up Course of
As soon as the rooms are prepared, the following step is to have the contractors go to your property to put your new stone counter tops. The method ought to go one thing like this:
- The installer will lower a gap on the quartz or granite countertops to create house for the sink and cooktop
- After putting in the brand new countertop, the installer will end the backsplash. (Relying in your design decisions, this can be the identical materials because the countertop.)
- As soon as all the pieces is full, the installer will clear up all of the mud created whereas reducing the countertop.
Think about the Sink
For a water resistant barrier, all cutouts, edges, and surfaces should be handled along with your alternative of end to seal out moisture. “Undermount sinks are supreme with wooden counter tops,” says Paul Grothouse, proprietor, The Grothouse Lumber Company. Cutouts that stretch barely past the sink lip and over the bowl forestall standing water from saturating the sting, making the counter simpler to keep up.
Drop-in sinks work finest with clear-coated or factory-finished counter tops together with a versatile sealant beneath the rim to guard the wooden. Keep away from marine varnish; whereas water-proof, this high-VOC end isn’t meals protected.
Use a Countertop Refinishing Equipment
Countertop resurfacing kits are like paint on steroids. These kits embrace an epoxy-like paint and ornamental stone chips to create the look of pure stone. Most kits are designed for making over outdated laminate counter surfaces.
Refinishing kits include all the pieces you want (aside from a number of instruments and fundamental provides) to utterly cowl a standard-size countertop, together with the entrance edge and, if desired, a 4-inch backsplash. The general course of is simple and non-technical, but it surely includes some arduous work, messy sanding, and cautious consideration to element. Observe the producer's directions to the letter for finest outcomes that can final for years.
Use it for spare elements or cannibalize it
The elements talked about above could be saved as a backup in case elements of your new laptop fail. Or, elements like a CD-ROM, arduous drive, or reminiscence could be added to your new laptop to present it extra capabilities.
7. Adorn a Marble Slab over the Washing Machine
If you end up continually within the laundry room (we all know we do), then placing a marble slab over the washer is a good concept. This offers you an additional shelf of house to begin folding these freshly clear garments or make room for the soiled ones that also have to be washed (should you continually ask your self how you bought so many garments, you’re our folks).
Planning for Your Countertop Set up Date
Earlier than countertop installation day, plan appropriately to keep away from inconveniences which may come up. Communicate along with your contractors and comply with their suggestions as you put together. The day itself and the next 24 hours could seem considerably chaotic because the room is successfully taken aside and put again collectively once more. Nevertheless, with an knowledgeable staff on the job, the consequence shall be properly value it.
Contact us for skilled countertop set up providers.
6 Steps for Eradicating Counter tops Your self
Able to tackle DIY countertop removing? Let’s gear up.
Instruments for Countertop Elimination:
- Protecting eyewear
- Putty knife
- Field cutter
- Caulk softener
- Pry bar
- Reciprocating noticed*
- *Solely required for big or heavy counter tops.
1. Clear the Space of Obstructions
Earlier than you begin, it’s essential to take away all countertop home equipment and equipment out of your work space. Then take away the drawers and gadgets saved in your decrease shelving to stop mud contamination and provides you quick access to the countertop. You also needs to clear the world of meals, cookware and utensils for security.
2. Disconnect Provide Strains to Countertop Fixtures
To securely take away your kitchen countertop:
- Use an adjustable wrench to show the emergency shut-off valves on the gasoline line to your range to the off place.
- Ensure electrical retailers are lined and turned off.
- Disconnect the water strains, drain pipes and rubbish disposal to the sink. Place a bucket beneath the pipes to catch any draining water.
3. Take away the Sink
After disconnecting the drain strains, you’ll have to take away your drop-in fixture or undermount-style sink.
- Use a chisel or putty knife to wiggle the sink away from the countertop.
- Spray a caulk softener to assist take away the dried adhesive or mortar underneath the rim.
- Raise rigorously to keep away from damaging the sink and surrounding space.
Professional-Tip: Sinks could be heavier than you suppose! For instance, a forged iron mannequin can weigh over 100 pounds. Have an assistant available that can assist you raise out the fixture, particularly for double-bowl configurations.
Now, the principle occasion – taking off the countertop.
4. Loosen the Remaining Adhesive
When your countertop was put in, it was sealed alongside the perimeters with caulk. Through the years, extra caulk could have been utilized to stop water harm. For simpler countertop removing:
- Spray the adhesive surrounding the perimeters of the countertop with a caulk softener. Let sit for one hour.
- Use a putty knife or field cutter to tug the adhesive from the backsplash or wall.
- Fastidiously pry your software of alternative underneath the countertop till it’s free sufficient to raise.
5. Unscrew and Pry Counter tops from Cupboards
Verify beneath your cupboards to see in case your kitchen countertop is held in place with screws. If that’s the case, use a screwdriver to unfasten them. After that, it’s best to be capable to simply raise the countertop with out damaging your cupboards.
Counter tops will also be held in place with brackets, nails or extra adhesive. If so, use a pry bar to softly raise the counter tops from underneath the rim, working your manner from one finish of the counter to the opposite. Be affected person and – to maintain you and your cupboards protected – don’t use extreme power on the pry bar.
“There’ll seemingly be a number of nails protruding from the underside of the countertop as soon as eliminated. Use a hammer and bend them to stop somebody from by accident stepping on a pointy nail.”
J.B. Sassano | President, Mr. Handyman
To securely take away a big or heavy countertop, you might want to make use of a reciprocating noticed to chop it into manageable items. “Keep protected by carrying security goggles and a mud masks when reducing countertop sections,” stated Sassano.
6. Raise Away and Eliminate Your Previous Counter tops
As soon as the counter tops are free from the cupboards and wall, it’s time to raise. Be protected! This step is way simpler with a minimum of two folks. Ensure to rent a renovation dumpster to simply eliminate your counter tops and different reworking particles since they received’t be accepted on the curb.
Discover Dumpster Providers In Your Space
What Materials Are You Changing Your Counter tops With?
Now that your outdated counter tops are gone, it’s time to decide on a alternative. With so many choices out there, it’s tough to resolve which sort of countertop is best for you. Use our infographic under to study the professionals and cons of every materials.
“In case your new countertop is an costly materials corresponding to granite, marble, and many others. – keep away from the heartache of it changing into broken by inexperienced set up.”
J.B. Sassano | President, Mr. Handyman